One of the reasons I love swaps is because they challenge me, and they get me to try things I might not otherwise try. Such is the case with the Kentucky Derby Hat Swap. I've never made a hat before and it sounded like fun. And it was. But it wasn't without a few ups and downs. I thought I'd share some of my "attempts" at it.
Making a Hat - Attempt # 1
I purchased a floppy hat and decided to decoupage it. I decided it needed a base layer of paper before the decorative paper (not sure why, just did). Tissue paper sounded like a good idea. So, I glued on a layer of strips of tissue paper.
I then decided that I didn't want the texture of the hat to show (again, not really sure why, just didn't), so I glued layer after layer of strips of tissue paper until the texture was somewhat smooth. I left it to dry for a couple of days.
When I went to check it out, I lifted it up and discovered that it weighed about 400 pounds. Seriously. On top of that, not only was it no longer floppy, which is understandable, it was really, really, really, hard. I mean ROCK hard.
I also had it in my head that I wanted to decoupage the inside of the hat as well, and at this point realized that my hat would then weigh about 800 pounds.
This wasn't going as planned so I decided to start over - but if you know anyone with seriously strong neck muscles who wants to look particularly stylish at a construction site, send 'em my way.
Making a Hat - Attempt # 2
I purchased another of the same hat. Obviously determined. This time I decided to sew on crepe paper ruffles all over the hat. I started at the rim and worked my way up - night after night after night. As I was getting near the top of the hat, I had a fleeting thought that maybe the ruffles were getting to be a bit much, but I was still okay with it and continued on until the entire hat was covered.
The only decorative idea I had from the beginning was that I wanted to perch sunglasses on top of the hat. I was going to get the huge round starlet sunglasses, then do some sort of collage on the area where the glass is, like there was a reflection off of something. That was my one idea so far.
So after my ruffles were on, I went to find a pair of my sunglasses, just to get an idea of what it might look like.
Cousin freakin' Itt!
My hat looked like Cousin Itt.
I wish I could say that's what I planned, but not in a million years. Now, I know there may be some Cousin Itt fans out there who might like my hat, but I took a guess that my partner probably wasn't one of them. So...starting over again.
Making a Hat - Attempt # 3
After staring at my very ruffley hat for a very long time, I decided that the ruffles were a bit much, so I took out all of the ruffles on the top part of the hat (I only cried a little), but I left the ruffles on the bottom part of the hat, and started over, again.
Everyone participating in the swap is supposed to post pictures of their finished hats this Friday. Should be fun. Check out Bristol's blog on Friday for a list of participants.